I’ve been ticking off some big jobs with the bus lately, and this week, I started another big job that I have been putting off for a long time. That is, to completely refurbish my bus entry door.

My bus still has the original door, and although I am not legally required to change it, there are a few things about it that annoy me and that I would like to fix.

I’ve been thinking for a long time, about either modifying the existing door, or perhaps even installing a new one. Neither option is straightforward, because of the unusual shape of the door, and the way it currently opens. So I’ve just kept putting it in the “too hard” basket. But now I’m at the point where I want to install a passenger seat at the front of the bus, and I need to modify the entry steps to accommodate this. So if I’m ever going to deal with the door, it needs to be done now.

The first step was to remove the original door. This in itself was a huge challenge, partly because of the way it was attached and also because of its sheer size and weight.

Check out the video to see the reasons why I want to change the door and how my Dad and I managed to get it off the bus.