This week I started to strip the inside of the bus. I wanted to see what condition the frame underneath was in, since there was a bit of rust visible under the window seals own the outside, and I wanted to deal with that before starting the fit out.
I expected there would be a bit of rust. It is, after all, a 30 year old bus. But I was not expecting it to be as bad as it was!
I discovered that the metal rail running under the windows was really quite badly rusted, and is beyond a simple wire brush / painting treatment. It will require bits to be cut out and new pieces welded in, which is beyond my current skill level. And in order to be able to do this, the windows and side panels will have to be removed.
It will be a big job and I will have to spend more money and time fixing it than I originally budgeted for.
Oh well, looks like I will have to add welding to the list of things I’ll be learning on this journey!
Check out the video below to see what I found.